Alumni Council Elections
The mission of the Institute of American Indian Arts (IAIA) is to empower creativity and leadership in Native arts and cultures through higher education. Our alumni, the students who have come through IAIA’s doors and gone on to make their way in the world, are a vital part of that mission. One way to strengthen that connection is for you, the alumni, to have a voice, a seat at the table and a stake in IAIA’s present and future. In consultation with the Alumni Advisory Committee, we have set out to form the first Alumni Council.
The Alumni Council will meet three times a year and promote and facilitate alumni engagement with the Institute. Each of the seven Councilors will serve a term a two years. If you would like to be a candidate for the Alumni Council, fill out this form online. To be eligible to run for Alumni Councilor, you must hold a degree from IAIA (high school diploma, AA, AFA, BA, BFA, or MFA) and are not currently an IAIA faculty or staff member. The deadline to submit a candidacy form is August 1, 2014. You may only submit a candidacy form for yourself. The first Alumni Council elections will be held from August 8 to August 22, 2014 and all alumni, whether degree-holding or not, are eligible to vote.
The Alumni Council
The Alumni Council represents IAIA alumni. It is the principal spokesperson for alumni and the primary forum for the exchange of alumni sentiment. It consists of 7 members representing a range of alumni. The alumni elect their representatives through an annual election. The Alumni Council’s purpose is to sustain a fully informed, representative, and engaged exchange of information and sentiment between alumni and the Institute, and to enhance and inspire alumni involvement that furthers the mission of the Institute.
Alumni Councilor Responsibilities
- The Alumni Councilor represents alumni by:
- Bringing ideas and concerns of alumni to the attention of the Council and Institute
- Reporting back to alumni on these matters and any other affairs of alumni interest
- Acting on behalf of the alumni
- The Alumni Councilor communicates with the alumni on a regular basis.
- The Alumni Councilor serves on at least one Council Committee.
- The Alumni Councilor works with the Trustees, faculty, students, and administration in a common effort to preserve the Institute’s strengths and build its future.
For more information, please contact Chee Brossy, Alumni and Constituent Relations Manager at 505.424.5704 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.