Volunteer at IAIA MoCNA
Museum of Contemporary Native Arts volunteers have provided several thousand hours of service, in a variety of roles. Volunteers have the opportunity to gain exposure to the workings of a major art museum and contribute valuable visitor services to a nonprofit institution. Our volunteers contribute their talents, knowledge, skills, enthusiasm, and energy and, in turn, provide an invaluable service to our community.
What are the personal qualities of a Museum Volunteer?
- Open-Mindedness, patience and compassion to work with a diverse public and staff
- Integrity to represent the institution and oneself with the highest standards
- Dedication to the museum’s mission and to the values of the Volunteer Program
- Reliability to consistently keep one’s volunteer commitment to the museum
- Ability to work shifts of two to four hours: M-Sa 10:00am – 5:00pm / Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm
- Training will be provided
Initiative taking, proactive and comfortable seeking out visitor contact and speaking in front of a small group, friendly and outgoing, comfortable using cash register and computer technology, physical stamina—oftentimes shift or assignment will be spent standing or walking
Admissions/Membership Services Desk
- Serve as ambassadors to the public
- Greet members, museum visitors and take admission fee on cash register
- Answer visitor questions and inquiries
- Encourage all visitors to sign the comments book or computer
- Inform visitors on how to become a member
- Orient visitors to the exhibits, the museum store, restrooms, etc.
- Provide information about other museums, nearby restaurants and transportation
- Seek out and approach groups and help orient them by greeting them, establishing whether they have a reservation, leading group to appropriate area/s or museum personnel
- Cash handling experience preferred
- Customer service, greet people, assist customers in finding merchandise
- Assist with stocking, pricing and displaying merchandise
- Take telephone orders and answer telephone inquiries
- Use cash register/point-of-sale system (cash handling experience preferred)
- Monitor inventories
- Keep membership brochures and other museum visitor information stocked at desks
- Offer memberships for member discount
- Encourage all visitors to sign the comments book, fill out comment card or complete computerized feedback form
Exhibit Explainers/Tour Guide
Interact with museum guests of all ages by assisting guests to explore exhibits and sharing their knowledge of the exhibits. An arts background and docent or tour guide experience is helpful but not required to become a volunteer as training is provided. All that is required is a strong interest in contemporary Native art plus the ability to communicate with people of all ages and background. Conduct tours of exhibitions for school groups, conferences and professional associations as well as visitors. Encourage all visitors to sign the comments book or computer
Museum Way-Finders are here to help. Way-Finders roam the Museum floors and exhibits in search of guests in “directional dilemmas” and help them find their way to the experiences they should not miss. Encourage all visitors to sign the comments book or computer
Whether it’s stuffing, filing, copying, data entry or all of the above, Helping Hand volunteers are on the job. Volunteers work individually or congenial small groups to perform these crucial tasks. Scheduling is determined by the projects available.
Events require many volunteers throughout the year. Assist with welcoming guests, ticket-taking and/or sign-in, directing guests and way finding, serving food and beverages; informing visitors on how to become a member of Museum of Contemporary Native Arts and offering member benefits; encouraging visitors to sign the comments book or computer. As needed; be aware that events may be scheduled after-hours.
Other museum volunteer positions may be available. To get a complete list of currently available opportunities, please contact
Are there benefits to becoming a volunteer? You bet.
- Free admission to museum
- Exhibits and programs training
- Discounts on memberships
- Opportunity to meet artists, students and IAIA celebrities
- Field trips and special events
- Awards and recognition
- New friends and skills
- Build professional relationships
Although the following are not required of our volunteers, Museum of Contemporary Native Arts requests that volunteers:
- Become members of the museum
- Maintain the confidentiality of all proprietary or privileged information of the museum to which they are exposed while carrying out assignments
- Attend training sessions for the cash register and credit card machine, as well as opening/closing procedures
- Complete a volunteer application for our files and to meet the requirements of our insurance policy
- Attend training sessions as it applies to their volunteer assignments
- Make minimum commitment of two 3-hour shifts per month
- Be aware that the relationship between volunteers and the museum does not constitute a legally binding contract, and the museum accepts the volunteers with the understanding that their services are received at its sole discretion, and that an individual volunteer’s relationship with the museum may be terminated by either side at any time whatsoever
- Understand that volunteers are supervised by the museum staff, and do not have any other authority to represent the museum, make contracts for the museum, or make any other commitment on its behalf. Letters and other communications written by volunteers must be authorized by a member of the museum’s permanent staff with appropriate seniority and authority
- Collaborate with museum staff and other volunteers, accepting supervision and evaluation of your volunteer work
- Familiarize themselves with the basic information relating to the exhibitions
- Refrain from imbibing alcoholic beverages during events, but join staff in enjoying a celebratory toast at the conclusion of the event
- Attend a volunteer recognition event
These guidelines are recognized standards of volunteer participation and are designed to create an efficient, professional environment for the volunteer, museum and visitors. Your cooperation is appreciated. Please submit the volunteer application below if you are interested in volunteering at MoCNA.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at MoCNA! We welcome any questions or inquiries you have, so please feel free to contact